Blog Entry #9: A Single-Edged Sword
I have always been hyper-keen about my surroundings, thinking about what I see and why it was made. This has sometimes felt like a curse, but I have realized what a blessing it is over the years. We as a society are being waterboarded with every form of media at all hours of the day, and it can be hard to go through our days with all the noise.
Since the idea of media has been a common topic in my English 102 class for the last couple of weeks, a new version of observation has developed. For the last few years, I have taken the time to narrow the number of things I evaluate so that my thoughts and time are more focused and productive. I've been introducing levels of this hyperevaluation when I see fit. Instead of thinking, "Why am I hearing this?" or "Why are they saying these things?" I think, "Whatever these people are trying to convey, I can get something positive from it, so I should see this through because who knows what gems I could stumble across."
I've been leaning into the idea that there is no bad information, just a bad perspective. There is so much nuance in everything we think, see, hear, and do that it can become easy to just go with the flow of whatever river we happen across without question. Just because you question something does not mean it comes from a place of negativity or positivity. Giving yourself the opportunity to have your opinions challenged is a valuable and seemingly rare skill to have these days.
If it makes you feel any better I also am hyper-keen about my surrounds, but for me its a sense of paranoia. That someone is out there trying to get me, do something to me or is simply just watching me. Like the walls are closing in on me and the only way to silence is to look in ever nook and cranny to see who is out there. But this new worldview that you speak off, no bad information but bad perspective is a great way to deal with my paranoia. To look for the good in bad.
ReplyDeletePerspective can be the difference between insanity and genius. Thanks for the comment man.
Delete