Discipline and drive have been at the forefront of my daily practice; honing and adding things when they start to feel "comfortable." "Use this momentum to create momentum" has been a common mantra the last month and a half.
Journal every day for a month, check...write jokes, check...verbal journal every day the following month, check...wake up every morning before the sun rises and climb a mountain as my first accomplishment of the day, check... Queue a rolled ankle because I got cocky and had a 18 day streak going. Then I went against my inner voice telling me to do the recovery mountain, check.
Once that happened I took a step back (with a limp) to look at my entire schedule. I was creating a road that lead to only one outcome. All of my dharmic practices were only getting a fraction of my attention and the result was abysmal at best. 6 nights ago I decided to set aside my ego and ease up on the throttle. I don't care what my process looks like, I care about the quality of my output. I created such a "badass" schedule that I strangled my performance.
There is a common theme among humans when we are working on a goal and get confronted with any sort of resistance. Do anything else but the things we are suppsoed to do. The amount of random facts about garage door openers and the most efficient way to water your lawn is hilarious. I dont even have a lawn let alone one that needs tending to.
When my inevitable crash occured, I had an important realization as I reflected. Just because I do something every day does not mean I accomplished something. I forgot to show up mentally and spiritually to my own daily practices and became a terracotta statue in the process.
This is not a "back to the drawing board" step back. I know what works and I have taken the time to recognize my limits within my infant aged daily routine, adjusting accordingly and have not skipped a beat.
6 day streak of showing up and making it count while not mentally punishing myself for operating at a different setting...check.
Comments
Post a Comment