Blog Entry 10: Back 2 School
The best plan for me has always been no plan. I figure that as long as I point myself in a general direction I want to go in, the rest will figure itself out. This is not the most stable way to go about things, and though it has given me a lot of fun memories, it has certainly given me the opposite end of the spectrum as well.
When I graduated high school, I enrolled in community college because it seemed like the thing to do next, and I didn't really have a plan for my future, so let's see where this goes? Where it went was me attending random classes that I had little interest in, with no real endgame in mind. Naturally, my stint in post-high school education was short-lived, not even finishing a whole year's worth of credit and burning a very nice bridge of financial grants in the process.
These actions led to a long and arduous period of self-reflective choices that brought me back to school as a transfer freshman at 27 on the other side of the country. Throughout all of the crazy things I got myself into, I managed to keep one thing in mind; "What did I learn about myself from this 'fill in the blank' experience?"
It was a long lap, but because I took the time to learn exactly how and think and why I think the things I do, I confidently came to the conclusion that it was time to go back to school to become a doctor who helps pregnant women have as smooth of a pre, intra, and post pregnancy experience. It feels like a huge undertaking when I occasionally stare down the barrel of all the years of schooling I have to do, and I've only just started, but because I know my "Why," I will see this thing through to the end.
Nice blog and has a very relatable topic, I feel like a lot of other students are also going through the same thought processes of not knowing what to do in life at first so you are definitely not alone there.
ReplyDeleteHey Aidan ! I also took a break after I graduated high school and finally decided to go to college at the age of 21. Throughout my freshman year at GCC I have met many of my classmates that are younger I am and while it makes me feel like I'm late to the game, I have to remind myself that the time I took away from school helped me decide exactly what I want to do.
ReplyDeleteHey! I remember when I was graduating I was set on becoming a police officer but then after I took 2 years off from school I somewhat found myself and also decided to take the leap of going back to school. Still at the age of 20 i don't know what i want to do haha. I think its awesome you want to become a Doctor that helps with the pre, intra, and post pregnancy experience!
ReplyDeleteAidan--These last 4 entries are really good. Your writing flows and connects, and your ideas and support are interesting and engaging. You are honest and thoughtful. Great work. I think you should keep blogging (be sure to send me the link if you do)!
ReplyDelete